Good news: Your belly button will see the sun again this summer! The 90s fashion is still here and so are the crop tops.
Famous for its XXS size, the cropped top has conquered our closets for a few summers. Meaning: it is short and reveals the navel. It is also the favorite t-shirt of teenagers and people with flat bellies. But not only…
Shy as the past seasons, it seems to be the piece of the year. Even when playing sports outside or in the gym.
The crop shirt trend is also and above all the hallmark of the young rebellious generation. A committed generation, in break with the previous ones, that wants to make itself heard and break the taboos.
Spring-summer fashion trends are clear. The fashion dictate has struck again. The bra is out, we accept ourselves, period.
These glosses are a modern staple and will spice up any look.
Thanks to whom? Thanks to the spring-summer fashion trends! Perfect with jeans, skirts or pants with high waist. Gladly also as a long sleeve variation.
We must admit that dIes garment is not the easiest fashion item that ladies and girls can wear. If it came with concrete abs, it would be a piece of cake to show the belly button. But the reality is sometimes quite different.
- The tight top that stops above the belly button is polarizing. It has a name: the crop top. Teenage girls love this piece of clothing, which can be found daily on TikTok as well as on Instagram, Pinterest and Tumblr. First of all, it’s an old memory from the 90s. The creation is a top cut a few inches above the navel. A top that Mel B wore in the Wannabe video of the Spice Girls to visualize it well.
- But there are days when teenagers are denied access to their schools because of their inappropriate clothing. Just like a skirt that’s too short, this artwork is a problem in the schoolyard. „Monday the 14th, young ladies, it’s time to rebel. Get out your best crop shirts, we don’t care about school rules,“ one student said in a video posted on TikTok.
- The rebellious specimens are also available in special colors such as cream, glitter, blue, bordeaux, champagne, silver, dark blue, dark green or even pastel. If young ladies wear them, it’s because it’s a form of self-affirmation in 2020,“ notes a rock journalist. Forgotten for years, this stroke of genius is getting a second youth. It’s a response to the much more androgynous fashions of recent years, a counterpoint to the gender-neutral trend that tended to blur physical differences between the sexes.
- Urban, the variation of today can be found in all shapes and sizes, and its cut is looser than that of its big brother. Sweaters, hoodies, as sports shirts, sweatshirts, blouses or simple T-shirts, all tops can be worn cropped! Now the bodies accept themselves, show off, in line with the body-positive trend celebrated on social networks. The young ladies offer a navel show and decide can opt for the new collection of gift idea, inspired by the fashion of the 90s.
- The big fashion designers have also helped a little with this trend. For a few seasons now, the cropped top has been squatting on the runways in both winter and summer. For the spring-summer collections earlier this decade, it was on every runway, from New York to Milan. No need to spend hours searching for the object of your desire! The cropped top is everywhere. In every store. Zara, Asos, Shein, Zalando, Otto etc. You can find models in all price ranges. Whether at Lacoste, NA-KD, Esprit, Hollister, Boohoo, the cropped shirt, even as long sleeve, is everywhere! One more reason to succumb to it.
- Whether you are going to the wedding of your best friends, to the gym or to the next party in Berlin, there is the tummy sexy outfit of your dreams among all the trends of this year: straight, mango, midi, pink, long, old pink, high neck or low cut, midnight, beige, figure hugging or comfortable.
These pretty tops come in a variety of colors, materials and cuts to accentuate any figure. Go for a better than average fit this season with our ultra fluffy splurges!
From simple black and white tank tops to sequined and lace trimmed pieces for special occasions, they are surprisingly versatile.
And with such a huge selection, there’s something for everyone, from Zara or Boao crop tops to wear with high-waisted jeans or sweatpants to Mbasic long-sleeved items for a glamorous look.
For every occasion there is suitable model with metallic knit or luxurious lace halter tops. Black, white or with lace. And for a wardrobe that’s always on trend look at halter tops, ruffle styles, bardots and more. There really is something for everyone.
For those who want to dare something daring in perfect quality, there are elegant chic sometimes short gold and silver tops in a variety of patterns and models (eg vintage, pink, long sleeve, off the shoulder, petrol, deep v neckline, mermaid, plus size maternity, short in front and long in the back or backless) that make us happy.
Good news for those who are a little more reserved: The chic thing about the cropped top is that it doesn’t show your belly button. Fashion, like the heart, has its reasons that reason does not know. But above all, an eternal spirit of contradiction.
The most modest, who do not want to show their belly at any cost, can still put in the cut off top.
So we’re leaving behind the ’90s version that prescribed a stretchy attraction that was worn with low-rise jeans. No. No more exposed belly.
But how? By wearing it with pants or a high-waisted skirt. Guaranteed effect!
For the less shy, it’s time to show off your tummy by pairing them with sweatpants or low-slung jeans. For the others, wear your attires with high waisted dresses to soften them: palazzo pants or a high waisted pencil skirt.
But today, as I said, the cropped top is also suitable for the quieter ladies. If currently the tops become shorter, it is not a question to show the small bust. What is revealed? Just a little bit of the ribs. How do you do it? By wearing the cropped top with a skirt or high-waisted pants.
Another ultra-trendy option is to go for a total look by opting for a matching top and bottom: the visual unity will add a very chic touch to your look.
Or you can follow the second option: mastering layering, layering. The belly top can be loose enough to wear over a long dress, for example. You can also pair it with a lace top over it to hint at it instead of showing it off.
You can also pair casual pieces with turtlenecks. Keep the shine going with strapless designs dressed up with sequins. Wear them with denim shorts, midi shorts and your favorite jeans and then pair them with sneakers, trendy heels or boots for the coolest trend of the season.
And then the last option is reserved for the naïve: assume. With shorts, a short or long skirt or pants, it can be raised a few centimeters to get dangerously close to the bra, which is also trendy. With your belly exposed, you will be as sexy as can be.
Symbol of feminine energy, beauty, attractiveness, femininity, glamor and charm, dear ladies and ladies, this cropped creation is available in infinite variations (short, long sleeve, knee-length, with slit, with sleeve, with train, with lace, with corsage, in cotton, in linen, in viscose, two-piece, calf-length, white or black or even maxi xxl large sizes for chubby in 42, 44, 46, 48 & 50).
For their belly ideas are suitable both malls, retail, stores or online shopping.
The following is a compilation of different stores:
Zalando Online, Zara, s oliver, H&M, cunda, Bon Prix, Amazon, Asos, Ottoversand, Karstadt Galeria, About You, Esprit, Vertbaudet for babies, children, girls and boys, Shein, Primark especially for young people and teenagers, Madeleine, Peek and Cloppenburg good for older, Hennes and Mauritz, Heine, Deichmann, Orsay, C&A, Otto and in winter (January) or summer (July) the Zara Sale.
The cropped top seduced us because it is sexy but not vulgar and promises a studied look without looking like it. It reminds us of retro bras, pin-up style from the 2000s. It’s a staple of the teen wardrobe and is as appealing as it is disturbing.
But in truth, the cropped top became popular in the eighties. Madonna made it her own, revealing her flat stomach whenever she had the chance. Into the groove was the appropriately fitting slogan.
In 1983, a movie democratized the cropped top: after Flashdance and its dancers with concrete abs, the ultra-short top became part of every wardrobe. It reappeared in the ’90s, becoming the hallmark of an engaged generation.
Back then, the uniform often consisted of a male baggy pants, a protruding undergarment, a bare belly and then a so-called „cropped“ T-shirt. A piece that suggests a gesture of rebellion and reappropriation.
It gave youth its own identity and through the Spice Girls and the young Britney Spears, fans of this specialty, became a legend.
Visually, it conveys the image of a teenager who has grown too fast and is overwhelmed by his children’s clothes. The monument, exposing the area between the breasts and the navel, is automatically sexualized.
Popularized precisely by Mel B, Victoria, Mel C, Emma and Geri Spice, Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears and Destiny’s Child, this homage to femininity was in its heyday.
Over time, the piece disappeared from the closets of young women. Considered „vulgar“, it did not have good press and was ignored by fashion houses. Halfway between a top and a bra, it blurs the lines. Is it possibly underwear? The ambiguity and the big wave of unisex wardrobe made it almost forgotten. Until its rebirth a few years ago.
The items are now available in every price range for women from cheap to exclusive, on Ebay in the bay as sustainable second hand fashion, online in stores, malls, retail or even in outlets.
On social networks, influencers collect it in all forms: sometimes with long sleeves, sometimes with thin straps. And often worn with high-waisted jeans. We can see that the 2020s are back in force. It is the return of the hourglass figure, of the thong that we discover in the youngest girls, very active on TikTok, Pinterest, & Instagram, giving a new meaning to this revival, the re-entry into the closets of teenagers: a sexual liberation, a form of pro-sex empowerment.
And men are not left out. In the 1980s and 1990s, Will Smith and MC Hammer showed off their belly buttons by wearing these outfits. Since then, they’ve ditched the belly band, but the male crop top is also making a comeback. We find them on men on the Internet,on Tik Tok or Insta on some famous shoulders (Justin Bieber, Justin Timberlake), and even in the university, office and schoolyard.